A Melanoma Pathology Report

Real patient experiences shared privately at www.TreatmentDiaries.com. Read more, share if you like or join in the conversation. Making sure you feel less alone navigating a diagnosis is important. Connecting you to those who can relate and provide support is what we do.

I was diagnosed with Melanoma and I’m fairly new to this fight…not exactly sure what to expect.

Since my diagnosis, I had one surgery to cut off the melanoma (it was on my toe) along with a 3 week recovery while unable to work. It took three weeks for the biopsy to come back. I guess hearing the doctor say that the pathologist said they had never seen anything like it, isn’t a good thing. Next, was an amputation of that toe, along with Lymph Nodes from my groin area. We scheduled surgery for a couple days later. He told me that he was going to amputate the toe, but before that, he wanted me to go to radiology and have some kind of dye injected in my toe and somehow it would travel to my lymph nodes so he could see them better and that he was going to remove some of those and biopsy the nodes.

April TD melanomaAfter surgery I was told that the melanoma on the mole was rather small and that the wart had grown down in my toe and blocked the mole from breaking through the skin, the wart had grown below my toenail and all sorts of craziness. I was thinking, wow! This nasty wart saved me from cancer. The wart was a cancerous tumor. It didn’t save me from anything. In fact because it had grown all around inside my toe and we didn’t know how much of the cells in my toe had been infected, he said that it looks like amputation was in fact what we needed to do to try and keep it from spreading.

The pathology results from my surgery did not bode well either. Out of the three nodes removed had a tumor in it. So, my journey took me to Baltimore, Maryland where I met with an oncologist surgeon. I had a complete dissection on my left groin area. During my follow up visit I found out the doctor removed 11 lymph nodes and two more came back with cancer cells. I was readmitted to the hospital thinking that my incision was infected. Thankfully it wasn’t but the drains weren’t working all that well either. The doctor opened my incision and my wonderful husband has become my nurse and packs the incision twice daily.

I couldn’t be luckier to have such a wonderful husband. During all this, I’ve learned that I am extremely claustrophobic. That puts a slight crinkle in trying to have all these tests that I need to have. I try to stay optimistic and keep my sense of humor. Financially, we were struggling and I can’t wait to get back to work. Somedays I feel like I’m losing it! I’m not sure I hear what the doctors are saying most of the time but we will manage and make this new normal a good thing…for better or for worse and in sickness and in health – until death do we part.

TD logo