This WE Have Cancer podcast was published on December 17, 2019 here.
Kandis’ mother succumbed to cancer in 2014. Not only was she her mother’s caregiver she also was charged with caring for her younger siblings. During this time she was literally burning the candle at both ends. During this conversation they discuss:
- How she wished she knew of the resources available to support her during such a difficult time in her life.
- The importance of reaching out to people in similar situations as a source of support.
- The importance of self-care when serving as a caregiver and the enormous challenges she faced while caring for both her sick mother and her younger siblings.
- How her relationship with with her mother blossomed during her illness.
- The stigma in the African-American community around going to psycho-therapy and what motivated her to seek support.
- How she coped with her mother’s passing.