Patient Empowerment Network Board Member Job Description
PEN’s mission is to fortify cancer patients and care partners with the knowledge and tools to boost their confidence, put them in control of their healthcare journey, and assist them in receiving the best, most personalized care available to ensure they have the best possible outcome.
Our programs enhance patient health literacy to enable shared decision-making and provide informational and educational resources to empower patients and care partners at every step of their cancer journey.
For more information, please visit https://powerfulpatients.org/
PEN Board Members support the work and mission of the organization through mission-based leadership and strategic governance. Board Member responsibilities include:
- Serve as active advocates and ambassadors for PEN
- Fully engage in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships necessary for PEN to advance its mission
- Give meaningful personal financial donation; PEN expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution within their capacity
- Help identify personal connections that can benefit the organizations’ fundraising and influence public policy
- Satisfy required fiduciary duties
- Prepare for, participate in, and attend board meetings (meetings are held virtually on a quarterly basis and as needed)
- Sign an annual conflict-of-interest disclosure and update it as necessary
- Follow PEN’s bylaws, policies and Board resolutions
- Ensure PEN’s commitment to a diverse board and staff is reflected in the work PEN does
- Serve an initial three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for an additional term.
This is an exciting opportunity for an entrepreneurial minded individual with a desire to achieve high impact results within a small, innovative, and rapidly growing organization. Ideal candidates will possess a passion for the mission along with a high level of strategic thinking. Experienced leadership in the areas of business (corporate community relations), government, marketing/communications, or philanthropy preferred.
- Commitment to PEN’s mission and desire to help a nonprofit organization grow
- Integrity and passion for empowering the cancer community
- Experienced leadership in the areas of business, government, marketing/communications, or philanthropy
- Ability to cultivate relationships, network naturally, and facilitate building consensus among diverse individuals
- Knowledge or experience related to garnering financial support from foundations and corporations
- Bilingual (English and Spanish)
- Knowledge or experience with Marketing, Public Relations and Communications
- Knowledge or experience related to utilizing technology to grow and enhance an organization
Interested candidates should send their CV and cover letter to PEN’s Executive Director, Andrea Conners, at firstname.lastname@example.org