Empowered Patient Toolkit
Living Well With Lung Cancer In this webinar in partnership with H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute, Dr. [...]
The ePatient Toolkit brings you tools and resources to begin your journey to become an educated and empowered patient!
We are excited to be teaming up with Intake.Me to bring you their virtual patient courses. These virtual classrooms are designed to empower patients in all their healthcare matters. You can enroll for free in these classes by clicking the buttons below or head over to our ePatient 101 Virtual Courses page for the full details. We hope you enjoy!
Marie Ennis-O’Connor Blogs
Marie Ennis-O’Connor is a writer, social media consultant, and author of the award-winning blog, Journeying Beyond Breast Cancer, which reaches a global audience of patients, researchers and healthcare professionals.
- Beyond Pink: The Other Side of Breast Cancer Awareness and Lessons We’ve Learned From Each Other
- Designing With The Patient in Mind
- Are We Ready for Mobile Health?
- Virtual Patient Communities
- Building A Digital Ladder of Engagement
- Shared Decision Making: Putting the Patient at the Center of Medical Care
- The Power of Content Curation For Healthcare Communities
- Why Your Patient Story Matters
- A Person Centered Approach to the Care of Chronic Illness
- How to Read Beyond the Headline: 9 Essential Questions to Evaluate Medical News
- Seven Steps to a Successful Digital Advocacy Strategy
- The Benefits and Pitfalls of Blogging About Your Illness
- Nothing About Us Without Us: Patient Involvement in Research
- 15 Tips To Get the Most From Your Doctor’s Visit
- Presentation Tips For Patient Advocates: Developing Effective Speaking Skills
- How to Weigh Up The Benefits and Risks of Treatment…And Why It’s Important That You Do
- How to Read and Understand A Scientific Paper
- Don’t Be An Egghead! Ten Twitter Tips For Patient Advocates
- Mapping the Patient Information Journey
- The Advocate’s Guide to Reporting Live from Conferences and Events
- Patient Advocacy: Ten Tactics for Mastering Social Media Success
- How To Cope with Cancer-Related Fatigue
- 12 Keys to Finding, Growing, and Nurturing Your Online Community
- Fact or Fiction: 10 Common Breast Cancer Myths Busted
- A Woman’s Guide to Living with Heart Disease
- How to Boost Your Online Advocacy Through Blogging
- Patient Advocacy: Understanding Your Illness
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective Patient Advocates
- Grief, Loss, and the Cancer Experience
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Hashtags in Healthcare…But Were Too Afraid to Ask!
- What Does It Mean To Be An Empowered Patient?
- Patient Advocacy: Six Steps to Craft a Compelling Message
- Coping With Scanxiety: Practical Tips from Cancer Patients
- Patient Advocacy: 15 Winning Ways to Attract More Readers to Your Blog
- A Patient Engagement Manifesto: 6 Principles of Partnership
Health literacy is the degree to which an individual has the capacity to obtain, communicate, process, and understand basic health information and services to make appropriate health decisions. Anyone who needs health information and services also needs health literacy skills to
- Find information and services
- Communicate their needs and preferences and respond to information and services
- Process the meaning and usefulness of the information and services
- Understand the choices, consequences and context of the information and services
- Decide which information and services match their needs and preferences so they can act
Check out these blogs by Casey Quinlan (@MightCasey) to learn more about health literacy.
- The Biggest Question No One is Asking in Healthcare
- Health Literacy – Bedrock of Empowerment
- Fact Checking 101: Health Literacy in Real Time
- Health Cost Literacy: “How much is that?”
- Medical Bills, EOBs, and You
- Storytelling and Medicine
- A How-To On Reading Scientific Papers
- (Self)Knowledge = (Em)Power(ment)
- To Open-Kimono or Not to Open-Kimono? That is the Question
- Can We Talk? It’s Important
- Talking to Your Oncologist About Clinical Trials
- Patient-Centered Research: Is That a Thing?
- Show Me the Evidence
- Health Insurance and Cancer: Your Mileage (and Coverage) May Vary
- Talking To Your Family About Clinical Trial Decisions
- Reinventing the Clinical Trial: Start at Ground Level
Helpful Videos and Blogs
- Social Media in Hematology
- #ASH15 Hosts Discussion on Social Media
- Connecting to Cancer Patients Online
- Being Your Own Advocate
- The Importance of Self-Advocacy
The Web-Savvy Patient
An Insider’s Guide to Navigating the Internet When Facing a Medical Crisis
Via the Patients Helping Patients Blog, we will be revisiting this excellent source of information on how to use the internet to obtain healthcare information with a short introduction of each chapter. You can get your own copy of the original book on Amazon here!