In this part one of three, Lori Sackett shares the journey of her multiple myeloma. She explains some of the symptoms she was facing before diagnosis to having to advocate to receive next-generation sequencing testing.
In this segment of Lori’s story, Lori and her daughter discuss the importance of seeing a myeloma specialist, having a good support network, and the role her daughter played in Lori’s care.
Lori and her daughter share their biggest takeaways and pieces of advice for other newly diagnosed myeloma patients and their care parters/advocates.
Myeloma patient, Lori’s advice:
- Insist on seeing a myeloma specialist
- Take care of yourself physically and emotionally
- Look for people/support and allow them to help you
- Live for now
Myeloma care partner and advocate, Carleigh’s advice:
- During every appointment have at least one note taker
- Ask for a hard copy or print out of everything
- Create a way to stay organized
- Keep a list of questions
- Have a mindset of persistence and perseverance, and to maintain hope