Patient Empowerment Network Board Member Job Description
About the Patient Empowerment Network (PEN)
The best cancer care happens when patients are empowered to ask the right questions, at the right time. Yet a diagnosis can leave patients and their families at a loss for how to take control. Patient Empowerment Network (PEN) is where to go for help.
We are a virtually-based nonprofit dedicated to improving cancer treatment outcomes and health equity. Through free resources covering diagnosis, testing, treatment, clinical trials, financing, to recovery, we educate then activate cancer patients and care partners to become co-decision makers with their healthcare team and achieve the best possible treatment outcomes.
In 2021, our programs served more than 350,000 patients and care partners. With your support, we can help far more.
To learn more, please visit https://powerfulpatients.org/about/.
PEN Board Members volunteer their time to support the organization’s mission through leadership, hands-on work, and strategic governance. Responsibilities include:
- Serve as active advocates and ambassadors for PEN
- Prepare for, attend, and participate in virtual board meetings (held quarterly and as-needed)
- Fully engage in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships necessary for PEN to advance its mission through fundraising and public policy
- Satisfy required fiduciary duties
- Sign an annual conflict-of-interest disclosure and update as necessary
- Follow PEN’s bylaws, policies, and Board resolutions
- Ensure PEN’s commitment to a diverse board and staff reflects in the work PEN does
- Serve an initial three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for an additional term.
- Annually, give a meaningful personal donation or directly solicit funds to support PEN’s mission
- Provide specialized advisement and hands-on volunteering within your skillset and capacity
This is an exciting remote-based volunteer opportunity for an entrepreneurial minded individual with a desire to achieve high impact results within a small, and growing organization.
Ideal candidates will possess a passion for the mission along with a high level of strategic thinking.
The role is open to candidates in any location, however preference will be given to those located and with networks in Washington State.
- Commitment to PEN’s mission and desire to help a nonprofit organization grow
- Integrity and passion for empowering members of the cancer community
- Strategic thinker
- Comfortable participating in remote-based Zoom meetings
- Ability to cultivate relationships and collaborate with diverse stakeholders
Experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Business development or fundraising
- Health equity initiatives
- Government relations
- Working with health insurance providers and/or Federally Qualified Health Centers
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their Resume/CV and a cover letter detailing interest and abilities to Andrea Conners at email@example.com by July 1, 2022.